Is it still Winter where you are? Warm up with a delicious cup of homemade hot cocoa!!
If you love hot cocoa, I’ve got a good little recipe for you. It is so simple, delicious and takes just a few minutes to make. In fact, I hardly ever buy store bought packets anymore, unless we’re having a get together with others and I need something quick. An added bonus to this recipe is that it is very customizable to your own liking. Use the basics and add in whatever flavoring you love for a delicious treat on a chilly winter day.
During the winter, we love tea all the way but some of us also love hot cocoa so I will make a couple cups on occasion. One of the kids love it as an after snow play warm up drink.
You’ll need the following to make this recipe:
- 3 Tablespoons all-natural cocoa powder (I use Hershey’s) – It’s one of my favorite pantry staples and it’s all- natural and just so good for cooking and baking)!! I’ve actually already used half of this jar just making hot cocoa alone during the holidays:)
- 2-1/2 cups milk (Whole milk, Almond milk, maybe even half and half or part whipping cream for an even creamier taste or just whatever milk you prefer).
- 1/2 cup water
- 2-3 Tablespoons sweetener of choice (powdered sugar, raw sugar, all-natural cane sugar, etc.)
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon (Can also use a dash of nutmeg or 1/2 tsp vanilla along with the cinnamon or substitute it or add in 1 to 2 tablespoons of crushed peppermint)
- Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Topping (whipped cream, coconut cream, marshmallows, cinnamon sticks, peppermint sticks)
Add cocoa powder and water in a skillet over very low heat. Stir to cook until the cocoa melts. Stir in milk, sweetener, 1/8 tsp cinnamon, and dash of cayenne (optional). Cook until heated through – not boiling. Ladder or pour hot cocoa into two separate mugs (1-1/2 cups cocoa in each). Top with whipped cream and a cinnamon stick or marshmallows. Also add an extra dusting of ground cinnamon if desired. The key is to use your favorite combo from the ingredients and customize it to suit your liking. Delicious!!!
And with temps and weather like this – you’d probably understand why this comes in “handy”. You know you want to make it too, right? Hope you enjoy it!!
Do you enjoy hot cocoa? What’s one of your favorite drinks you love to make to help keep you and your family warm during the winter?