If you are a lover of shortbread cookies, I am sure you would love these, too! They are kind of crunchy and not very hard, like some other shortbread recipes. I almost ate the entire batch after I made them. They are super simple to make and will make a great gift for mom or anyone who enjoys a good shortbread cookie!
I used dried lavender flowers and lavender essential oil to get the desired taste. But I used only a minimum of both ingredients so the taste is not overpowering.
We love shortbread cookies around our home and you can find me making them often but this is my first time including lavender ingredients. The way I feel about it is that you can make a shortbread into whatever flavor you like without really ruining it. All it takes is a basic dough with a bit of a flavoring.
Seriously, doesn’t these look gorgeous! I love the combination of the small purple lavender flowers with a dusting of powdered sugar.
I bought the lavender flowers from a mall exhibition in Ohio on our Short spring break but it can also be found on Amazon. There are many places that produce and sell essential oils but it can also be ordered from Amazon, too. Here are the links for both. Just click on each one: lavender essential oil and lavender flowers. And here is an image of both products.
Once you have all the rest of the ingredients as mentioned in the recipe card below, begin by mixing the ingredients together.
Then roll out into a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch dough on a lightly floured cutting board or counter space.
Next, cut the dough into smaller shapes using a cookie cutter or the mouth of a small cup. I used a small heart shaped cookie cutter.
Place cut out shapes on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes or until very lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack (I usually put mine on a plate). Once cooled, dust with a dusting of powdered sugar.
Like I said earlier, I think these would make a beautiful gift for any mom or any person who enjoys shortbread. Wrap them in clear favor bags (so the color would show up pretty) and tie pretty ribbons around them. Include a gift tag, if desired!
I think they turned out to be just the perfect color with the perfect taste! Here is the recipe I used to make them.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup corn starch (corn flour)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar (plus more for dusting)
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender flowers
- 5 drops of lavender essential oil
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix all-purpose flour, corn starch, and powdered sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the butter and mix until it looks crumbly.
- Stir in lavender flowers and lavender essential oil.
- Need mixture into a soft dough.
- Roll out dough about a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch thick on a lightly floured cutting board or counter space.
- Using cookie cutters or the mouth of a small cup, cut out dough into smaller shapes. (I used a small heart shaped cookie cutter).
- Bake about 20 minutes until very lightly browned.
- Remove cookies after 1 minute and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Sprinkle with a dusting of powdered sugar.
Have you ever had lavender shortbread before? I would love to know your thoughts in the comments!
This post contains affiliate links which means I will receive a small compensation if you make a purchase through any of these links. Thanks!
She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness (Proverbs 31:21, KJV).