Make breakfast quick, healthy, and easy with these homemade oatmeal packets. This post contains affiliate links for your convenience.
Oatmeal is a Healthy Breakfast
If you work out of the home or have kids in school, you know how busy mornings can be. In order to have a proper breakfast, you’ll have to get up super early to start prepping. No one does that. But I think everyone likes something quick and easy before or while they’re practically heading out the door. So here’s to quick oatmeal packets as one of your options!
Not everyone enjoys Oatmeal. I feel you! After all, it can really be boring. But it is very healthy. I used to enjoy much oatmeal as a teen and I think it has to do the type of Oats along with the tasty milk it used to cook it. Once I migrated to the U.S. though, somehow my love for Oatmeal faded. I just couldn’t get that same taste as as before (different ingredients, I supposed). In recent years, I picked it back up again. My daughter and son loves it so I often make it for their breakfasts.
Saves Time – Why should anyone make Oatmeal Packets when they could just make Oats straight from the can? On busy mornings, it’s just easier to have everything measured and ready in Ziplock bags or storage bowls. All you’ll need to do is add milk or water or both (liquid sweetener if you skip the sugar or no sweetener at all). Because, I like my oatmeal tasty, I sometimes put additional add-ins such as raisins, cranberries, nuts, etc. I also love to add Wheat Germ protein & Ground Cinnamon. Having all the dry ingredients already mixed makes quick oats even quicker (save the liquids for cooking and the fresh fruit topping for later). If you’re just using Oats and salt or a sweetener added to liquid, then the packets may not be necessary.
Healthier Option – Why make Oatmeal Packets when you could just buy them from the store? You definitely can buy Oatmeal packets and possibly even take them to work with you to make a quick breakfast at work (depending on job). But if you like healthier oatmeal, making them yourself is a great way to add your favorite healthy ingredients. They taste way better too even if you just add oats, milk and sweetener.
How to Make Homemade Oatmeal Packets
- Oats (I used quick 1 minute Oats)
- Protein Powder, optional (I used Wheat Germ)
- Ground Cinnamon, optional
- Assortment of dried fruit and nuts
- Brown Sugar or Salt
- Note: Salt in Oatmeal just doesn’t sound appealing to me. I prefer sweetener. While brown sugar is a tasty option, I usually use liquid sweetener such as Agave Nectar, Raw Honey, or Pure Maple Syrup for healthier options.
What to do:
- Add about 6 Cups Oats to a large bowl (rolled or old-fashioned)
- Add in 6 Tablespoons of Wheat Germ, if you can have it
- Add 3 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- If preferred, add dried fruit and nut mix-ins (raisins, cranberries, nuts) or you can save them as toppings. Sometimes I prefer my raisins uncooked.
- Combine and mix everything together.
- Then measure them into Ziploc bags.
- I added 1 Cup of mix for one to two servings and 2 cups mix for 2-4 servings.
- You can always increase the measuring amounts depending on what your family will eat.
- Label Bags
- Store in your pantry
Want more Oatmeal Ideas? Check out how to make these Healthy Oatmeal Bowls for Kids Breakfast.
Pin This Post
She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness (Proverbs 31:27).