I have to confess that when it comes to casseroles, I am not very creative and I do not cook them often. Maybe it is because I did not grow up on casseroles. We usually had our meals with individual sides unless it was a soup or some other dish (not considered a casserole). But being in a different country, one adopts to the food. So every once in a while, when I am in need of a quick all in one dinner, a casserole is what usually comes to mind. Especially on a cold winter day, when a cozy comforting meal is most desirable, a good cheesy dish will definitely hit the spot. Further, cooking it in a Crock Pot will save time and retain all the wonderful flavors. Just throw everything in the Crock Pot and you will have a delicious all-in-one dinner that the entire family will love.
A couple years ago, I found this Crock Pot Country Scalloped Potato recipe in a stack of recipe cards that I got from my husband’s grandma. The recipe is truly delicious but it has been a while since I made it. It got a lot of raves although I should probably redo the photos. When I was thinking about my menu plan for this week, I thought I would turn this delicious scalloped potato recipe into a casserole and include some chicken. Don’t forget to check it out here.
Anyway, if you are in need of a tasty comforting Winter dinner this Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken & Potato Casserole would definitely be a good pick.
Here is how I made it.
- 1-1/2 pounds white potatoes peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 cups cut-up cooked chicken
- 2 cups crushed yellow Cheez-It crackers
- 1-1/2 cups Cheddar or Velveeta cheese
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Dried crushed parsley
- Cooking spray
- Heat Crock Pot on low setting and spray with cooking spray (or grease with butter) while you prepare the recipe.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a medium saucepan, over low heat.
- Add milk, cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir constantly until the cheese melts.
- Remove from heat.
- Layer half of the potatoes in the Crock Pot.
- Add all the chicken evenly over the potatoes.
- Pour half of the cheese sauce over the potatoes and chicken. Top with a sprinkle of parsley and 1/2 cup of crushed Cheez-It crackers.
- Add the remaining potatoes and then remaining cheese sauce.
- Mix 2 Tablespoons butter with remaining crushed Cheez-It crackers. Evenly spread the mixture over the potatoes. Sprinkle with a dash of parsley.
- Cover Crock Pot and cook on low about 2 hours.
- Turn setting to warm until ready to serve. A side salad, hot rolls or biscuits are a few good sides to go with this.
- Note: My Crock Pot works really well and this was done in an hour and half. But I let it go 15 minutes longer for additional browning.
What is one of your favorite Winter dinners? I would love to know in the comments. Thanks and happy cooking!