Do you love creative ideas on the cheap? I usually have more ideas in my head than I could actually create. Meaning that sometimes, I’d rather just go buy things and not have to deal with finding a moment and place to create them and then have to save them if it is something seasonal. It would be easier to do things like this if we were owning. But I do sometimes make things when the desire sparks and this tin can centerpiece is among them. It is a supa dupa simple idea and makes for a lovely Autumn inspired centerpiece.
My first intent was to leave the tin cans as is and wrap them in burlap. Then I thought it would be fun to paint them. By the time I was done painting them, I figured I would use them without the burlap wrap. The color of the cans alone brings out that Autumn/Fall look and I did not want to hide it.
I had on hand 3 or 4 cans of spray paint in similar gold and bronze color hue. During the Spring, I wanted to spray paint some items in a shade of gold and ended up buying all these gold and bronze shades to see which one would work best. And now I can use them for various projects like on these tin cans. I also have some rose gold liquid paint that’s similar to bronze which truly is great for using during the Fall, if need be.
- Empty food tin cans
- Bronze multi-purpose spray paint
- Scrap paper
- Paint sealer for craft paints
What to do:
- Wash and clean empty tin cans
- Remove labeling and paper glue residue
- Clean thoroughly and let dry
- Place cans upside down on scrap paper or painters plastic covering
- Apply first coat of paint and let it dry. Apply one to two more coats with drying time between coats. If desired, apply acrylic craft spray sealer. Let cans dry fully.
- Add fresh or faux flowers to create a centerpiece
- For fresh flowers: Fill cans with water, then add flowers.
- For faux flowers: Add a filler such as popcorn kernels, beans, dried peas (lentils, split peas, etc), then add flowers. These will keep the flowers in place in the can.
I picked up these faux flowers from Michaels craft store to add to the cans. I wanted to add real flowers but did not find the colors at the store I went to. But I thought that having some faux ones on hand will be great for anytime.
These could be used to create a table top centerpiece for Fall family meals or for a gathering with friends, other similar activities or just to decorate an area in your home for Fall. It’s a simple idea but it looks great! It will be nice to switch things up with real flowers in these shades according to the occasion.
What do you think of them on the table? It would be nice to have a few larger cans or smaller ones for variety. But overall, I think they look stunning with the flowers added to them. The bronze spray is one of my favorites.