Make this delicious Homemade Peppermint Hot Cocoa to warm up on a cozy day and your family will thank you!!
Why We Love This Recipe
I’ve always loved hot cocoa, but the colder winters in Chicago made the tradition even more welcoming to us (and the kids especially) during the holidays and winter season. This recipe is homemade, creamy, warm, and can be made as healthy as you’d like. It’s easy, made with mostly natural ingredients such as 100% cocoa powder, and can be customized with choice of milk, sweetener, and peppermint flavor. It really is something delicious to add to the holiday or winter menu!
Warming Up on a Cold Day
If you have cold winters days where you are this recipe is perfect for cozying up and enjoying while while reading, watching a show, or just enjoying the company of family.
- If you have kids that love to play in the snow, they’ll love this when they come inside.
- You can even make it ahead and keep it warm in a thermos for several hours. Just pour into mugs when ready.
- Have it ready for when you come from shopping or other trips on cold winter days
- Or pour into individual thermos to take it on-the-go
- Or just make it as a treat during the holidays
- It’s really up to you when you want to make it. Anything goes!!
Peppermint Hot Cocoa Recipe
- 1 -1/2 Cups water
- 1-1/2 Cups milk
- 3 Tablespoons 100% Cocoa powder (Love Hershey’s)
- 3 Tablespoons sweetener (pure cane sugar, powdered sugar, honey, Agave nectar, etc.) and adjust the amount to your liking
- Peppermint (pick one): 2 Tablespoons crushed peppermint or 2 peppermint sticks or 1/8 tsp peppermint extract (I prefer the peppermint sticks)
- Toppings: Whipped cream, extra Peppermint sticks, extra crushed peppermint, sprinkles, milk M&M’s, marshmallows, crushed red and black Oreo, cinnamon, etc.
- Add 1 cup water to a medium skillet over low heat. Stir remaining 1/2 cup water and cocoa powder until combined. Pour into warm water while stirring constantly to keep the cocoa from firming up. Mix in milk and peppermint. Add sweetener. Continue cooking and stirring over low heat until heated through (and peppermint sticks have melted, if using). Ladle hot cocoa into two large mugs or 4 small mugs.
- Topping Options: Add a dollop of whipped cream and a stick of peppermint along with some sprinkles or M&Ms (if desired). Or whipped cream and crushed peppermint or Oreo. You can do marshmallows and a sprinkle of cinnamon or crushed peppermint. Add an extra peppermint stick for good looks! Basically, you can mix and match any topping from this list.
- Note: Double all the ingredients to make a larger batch that fills 3 large mugs or six small smaller mugs. Enjoy!
Make Your Own
The recipe is so delicious you’ll not want to use packets of cocoa again, haha! Nothing beats that homey taste you’ve been dreaming of – it just takes so different and so real! Plus you get to cut some of the extras that are in pre-made cocoa. I got say though, I keep some hot cocoa packets on hand during the holidays for if we are having people over and want to do something quick. However, I do try to find the creamy ones with good taste. I’m not even quite sure we end up using them.
Top with whipped cream
Topped with marshmallow and crushed candy cane
Top with whipped cream and M&Ms
Pin It Here
Do you make hot cocoa? How is the weather where you are? You can see my other hot cocoa recipe here. Enjoy!