This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #VivaLaMorena#CollectiveBias
Who says Fall has to be about eating only turkey related dishes?! Why not take your favorite year-round recipes and incorporate them into your holiday dishes? I’ve got the perfect chicken recipe for your holidays today!
After studying in Puerto Rico for seven straight years, my love for Hispanic foods just keeps growing! It does not help that my husband cannot seem to eat enough of anything Mexican, either. Between the both of us I am not sure who loves the Hispanic foods the more. To satisfy our taste, you can find me cooking weekly Hispanic meals. In fact, it is even on our weekly menu to prepare a Hispanic dinner of some sort. But just because the holidays are upon us, that does not give me a reason to stop. I have found a way to incorporate our favorite Mexican foods with our Holiday foods – a mix of both! And YES, I know Spanish! Thanks for asking!! Well, at least enough to get by:=)
To prepare my Spicy Baked “Fried” Chicken, I first made a stop by Tony’s Finer Foods to grab a can of La Morena Chipotle Peppers in Adobo along with a bag of Maseca® Corn Flour. I found both ingredients in the same isle, almost side by side; that made shopping with little kids a whole lot easier. Whenever I take the kids to Tony’s Finer Foods, I often joke with them that we are at their daddy’s store because he carries the same name.
La Morena has been providing high quality products with an authentic and traditional Mexican tastes for over 25 years to customers who appreciates quality and tradition.
Once I got my ingredients together I began to make this delicious chicken!
First, I combined the Maseca® Corn Flour with paprika and salt.
Then, I used my blender to finely chop the La Morena Chipotle Peppers (along with some of the sauce). The spicier the better! I am a Caribbean gal – we love spicy!!
I then rubbed the chopped Chipotle peppers unto the chicken and let it sit while I went about prepping the rest of the recipe. I also combined some milk with a slightly beaten egg for dipping the chicken before coating. Then I formed a little assembly line by dipping the chicken in the milk mixture and then into the Maseca® Corn Flour mixture.
After all pieces of the chicken were coated with the Maseca® Corn Flour, I scooped up any left over peppers from the bowl and sprinkled them unto the chicken. Then I baked “fried” the chicken at 400 degrees for 1 hr 10 minutes. While the bake time may have been a little long, the prepping itself is quick. And it was well worth the wait for the chicken to be done.
Look how nice and brown and crisp it looks. I am really pleased with how well the Maseca coating adhered to the chicken and gave it this nice color. And because this is meant to be a holiday recipe, I also made a little dipping sauce with cranberry to go with along with it. No need to have turkey to eat your cranberries!
To make the sauce, I combined Mexican salsa, whole cranberries, and of course 1 teaspoon of La Morena Chipotle in Adobo Pepper sauce. The peppers gave it a gentle little kick.
This spicy baked “fried” chicken with La Morena Chipotle Peppers and Maseca® Corn Flour is sure to be a great addition to your holiday meal planning. Here is the full recipe so you, too, can make this chicken.
- 3 lbs Chicken (I used 8 big drumsticks)
- 1 cup Maseca Corn Flour
- 2 La Morena Chipotle Peppers in Adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons Spanish Paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg beaten
- For dip:
- 1 can whole cranberry sauce
- 1 cup Mexican salsa
- 1 teaspoon La Morena Chipotle Pepper sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil then spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Wash chicken and place in a large bowl. Place the La Morena Chipotle peppers with 1 teaspoon of the sauce in a blender.
- Chop into fine pieces. Note: You may need to add a little water in the blender to get it going.
- Rub chopped peppers unto the chicken. Set aside.
- Mix Maseca corn flour, paprika, and salt in a separate bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the beaten egg with milk.
- Form an assembly with the chicken, milk mixture, and the Maseca corn flour mixture.
- Dip chicken into the milk mixture, then into the Maseca corn flour mixture.
- Place chicken unto the baking sheet and bake for 1 to 1 hour 15 minutes or until done.
- Remove chicken from the oven. Set aside.
- To make the dip, combine cranberry sauce with salsa and 1 teaspoon La Morena Chipotle Pepper sauce in a small saucepan. Cook about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve with chicken. Yum!!
Serve it with a my quick mildly spicy cranberry and salsa dip and your family will be sure to love it during the holidays. Mine did! At one point I even saw our 10 month old baby chewing away on a drumstick in his hand that he got from one of his sisters. I guess he likes spicy, too! It did not seem to affect the kid one bit!
What is one of your favorite Mexican dishes and how do you incorporate it into your holiday meals? I would love to know your thoughts in the comments. And be sure to check La Morena products #VivaLaMorena for more delicious recipes!