Make a DIY Valentine’s Heart Garland with your little ones for Valentine’s. It’s easy and the kids will enjoy helping and seeing their creations displayed at home.
Easy Valentine’s Craft
The girls and I made this DIY Valentine Stuffed Heart Garland and it turned out so well. I’m also happy that our little 9 year old is learning how to make sewed crafts and is becoming quite the little creative. We got her a kids’ starter sewing kit for Christmas that she really loves and uses the tutorials to make stuffed crafts like this. I thought this could be a fun craft to work on together to help develop her sewing skills.
It was an easy craft to do although it took us a few weeks to complete. That’s because we did a little here and there when we felt we had some time. We’d make couple hearts one evening and then set it aside and work on a few more some days later. BTW: Stuffed heart garland seems to be a trend for this Valentine.
While we were making these I came across similar ideas several stores (Target, Walmart, Michael’s). That seem to be the trend this year. Or was that last year’s too? We’d moved to a new area and didn’t really notice much of what was in the stores. Some of what we see now are strung together in a garland and others are loose in boxes for DIY projects. In fact, I got my inspiration for the back attachments at Target. I have no idea how they attached them but I thought the hot glue would be a great idea. The loose hearts at Michael’s craft store look exactly like these, too (no attachments thought) but they have Valentine “sayings” glued unto them. One of the kids asked why I don’t just buy it. But we’d already started making ours so I didn’t want to squash the project. Plus it was good for us to learn the skill of making our own.
We don’t do much decorating for Valentine’s but I always love to put up a garland for the kids. Usually it’s on our fireplace mantle but this time we hung it in the dining room since it’s located in such a central spot where the kids do school daily. I want to add a circle garland with it to bring it out some more.
DIY Valentine’s Stuffed Heart Garland
What You’ll Need:
- Felt (see the colors we chose from the images)
- Thick thread
- Red or white yarn
- Large needle
- Pillow fluff
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter(s)
- Glue Gun
How to Make:
- Use the thick thread to thread the needle. Set it aside.
- Draw a heart-shaped pattern on a piece of felt (or draw several hearts on the felt).
- Use this shape to cut out several matching hearts (make two different sizes).
- Take two matching heart pieces and sew them together, leaving a small opening at the top.
- Add pillow fluff through the opened space (just enough to fill the heart), then sew the opening to close it.
- Trim any loose thread.
- Continue making more hearts as you desire.
Adding the strings to the hearts
- Cut out small pieces of felt (about 1 inch long x 1/2 inch wide).
- Use the glue gun to attach one end of a piece of felt to the back of each heart.
- Bring the other end over and seal them together.
- Thread yarn through each heart creation making it one long garland (tie knots at both ends to keep the hearts from falling out).
- Hang the garland where desired.
Adding the String
The kids are super happy with how it turned out and it makes me happy to see them loving their creations. We think it looks great in the dining room and would add a touch of whimsy where they spend most days doing school.
Pin It Here
Does this craft seem easy enough? Of course, this style of garland is all over the stores now so you could probably just buy one or pick up some loose hearts and string them together. But if you want to try your hand at making them, I hope this easy tutorial helps you.