Today’s post is a continuation of Part 1 from last week. If you would like to read it, go here to Moving Part 1: The Setbacks and Blessings of Owning Our New Home.
Before I talk about some of the issues we had to overcome, I would like to give some credit to the previous home owners.
- Firstly, before we moved into our this new home, the sellers had asked my family if we would like to keep some of their furniture. They were moving out of state and I believe were going to sell some of the furniture they were not taking with them. They wanted us to have the first priority in choosing some furniture – free of cost!
Here is a photo of the furniture we requested. The couch set was very much appreciated for the extra family room which we now have. We only had one set for our living room in our previous home.
- Secondly, the outskirts of the home was left very clean. And when you walk in, the house seemed spotless. Floors, walls, and other areas of the home were clean. At one point, the seller apologized that a widow had gotten a little dirty because they had moved out a couple weeks before we moved in. Up to this day, I have no idea what widow she spoke about! Looked clean to me!
Here is a photo of how things looked when we walked in (minus the furniture – we requested some of them).
These were the good side of things. And here comes the downside (nothing major, but more time consuming and frustrating)!
- Although, everything seem spotless and we earned some free extra furniture (a true blessing), there were many unnecessary items left behind. I was so disappointed when I opened the drawers, closets, and storage doors and found all kinds of random items! I spent the first two weeks between unpacking our own stuff and trying to get settled in, trying to de-clutter all the extra JUNK! Maybe they thought they were leaving them in good faith; but we already have more than we need. In addition, most of the items were not even my kind of taste/style. Whenever we move from a home, we make sure everything is cleaned out – absolutely nothing left behind! Then to come into a home where you have to clean out another person’s junk – so not funny!!!!!
As you may notice in the above photo, the floors and walls are clean, but the extra dresser and stuff on it and the wall decor and curtains, cute but so not my style.
And here are some of the extra furniture left behind! The tall dresser was part of the 4 piece set in the furniture we requested (first photo above) but when we added our king size bed to the room it took too much space. See further explanation on photos!
- Check out this photo of all the cleaning supplies these people had. I like to make my own natural cleaning products so many of these items were trashed!
- And here are all the boxes of stuff I gathered for the thrift store that was left behind. Not to mention, the 3 or 4 huge bags of stuff I trashed. Seriously????!!!!
- Then we move on to our stove and dishwasher issue – see photo below for explanation.
- Then here is a biggie – the WATER issue! So annoying! I dealt with this for one week until the plumber came out to fix it. Only to find out there was a straw and some kind of tissue paper blocking the lines. It was deeper than just a regular person could fix. We did not know about this before (assuming the sellers knew). Thankfully, the sellers had left a one year home warranty for us. See explanation on the photo!
- This final one is not a problem – we knew about this before purchasing. Our old home was painted to our taste and now we are back to regular white and blue (or whatever color is in this house). We did not have a two week span like we did when we moved into our first home for painting and renovation.
- As you may have seen in some of these photos, there are wall paper in the rooms and bathrooms. Something to get rid of later, though. Again, not an issue – we will get to it when we get to it. Just happy to be getting settled somewhere!
So these were some of the issues we had to deal with. Remember, hubby had surgery on his knee and could not do anything to help clean out this place. Our two little ones are still toddlers (small helpers though). Me having to clean and deal with this at 5 months expecting was so not fun. But God gave me the strength to do what I can!
Have you had any moving into a new home issue, water, furniture, cleaning, etc? I would love to know about them in the comments!