This homemade cinnamon rolls recipe is always delicious and a welcome breakfast for our family
Cinnamon Rolls make a delicious weekend breakfast, brunch dish, or special occasion breakfast. Great for birthdays and holidays, too. It may not be on the healthiest breakfast list but we love having it as a special treat every once in a while. All things in moderation, right?
How I Make Easy Cinnamon Rolls
The one problem with cinnamon rolls though is that they can take a little bit of extended time to come together. For this reason, I usually stick to the easiest recipes. I use a totally different method – I use a hack. I’ve shared my easiest cinnamon rolls recipe here before but I think my recipes got a bit mixed up on here. I
On occasions, I go the length and make my recipe from scratch. No worries, it sounds long but it really doesn’t take that long. At least so I think. It could be because I’ve made this recipe a few times. My ultimate secrete is to make it ahead of when we might use it. I make the dough and cut the rolls then put them in the freezer. They’re faster to bake if I remember to defrost them in the refrigerator before baking day. The recipe is delicious and freezer friendly, I think you’ll enjoy it if you give it a try.
Homemade Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
- 3-1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 TBSP yeast
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup milk
- 1/2 Cup butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 Cup softened butter
- 1/2 Cup Pure Cane Sugar
- 1 TBSP Cinnamon
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 Cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 Cup softened butter
- 1/4 Cup cream cheese softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2-3 TBSP milk
- In a large bowl, add water and yeast. Let the yeast rise about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour milk into a small skillet. Add butter and melt over low heat, stirring constantly to prevent over-browning.
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Mix flour and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Once milk and butter mixture has cooled down, add it to the yeast and stir.
- Mix in dry ingredients and stir to combine until it forms into dough.
- Turn dough out on a floured surface.
- Roll until smooth. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover. Let it rise about 30-45 minutes.
- Mix Cinnamon and sugar together in a small bowl.
- Roll dough out into a large circle (about 9 inches wide).
- Spread dough with 1/4 cup softened butter.
- Sprinkle over with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Roll up dough.
- Pin ends to seal.
- Cut into 12-16 individual pieces of rolls (you could use a knife or strings).
- Same day baking – Place each roll on a baking pan. Let them rise another 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees about 15 -20 minutes.
Let cool about 2 minutes.
Frosting: Mix butter and cream cheese together in a medium bowl. Beat in vanilla, powdered sugar and 2 TBSP milk. If needed, add a little bit more milk to reach the desired consistency.
- Overnight – Place in the refrigerator overnight. Follow same-day baking times and frosting instructions above.
- Freezing – Put rolls in a freezer friendly baking pan. Cover and freeze (up to about a month). When ready to bake, remove from the freezer and allow the rolls to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Follow baking and frosting instructions above.
Enjoy with some coffee and a few slices of fruit!!
Pin It Here
She looketh well to the ways of her household and eateth not the bread of idleness (Proverbs 31:27).